- 1965-1974 classical secondary school
- 1974-1983 Study of medicine, University of Tübingen, University Paul et Marie Curie, Paris/France, University of Freiburg/FRG
- 1983 Final exams (M.D.)
- 1979-1985 Study of musics at the University of music, Freiburg, main instrument german flute, (Master class of Aurele Nicolet and William Bennett)
- 1985 M.A. (Künstlerische Reifeprüfung)
- Continued public concert-career
- 1983-1985 Research assistant of Prof. Richard Jung Department of clinical neurophysiology, Freiburg, Research on brain activation during music-processing and on motor-learning of skilled movements
- 1985-1992 Assistant of Prof. Dr. J. Dichgans, Department of Neurology, University of Tübingen, Clinical training in neurology. Research on auditory processing and motor systems in musicians
- 1992-1994 Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, University of Tübingen
- 1994-present Full Professor, Head of the Department of Music-Physiology and Musician’s Medicine at the University for Music and Theater, Hannover. Continued research on brain processing of music and motor learning in musicians.
- Fellow of the Deutsche Studienstiftung
- Young Scientists Award of the German Physiological Society 1984
- Kornmüller-Award of the German Society for Clinical Electrophysiology for EEG-Research 1992
- Richard Lederman Lecture, Aspen 1999
- Member of the Faculty of the European Forum Alpbach 1999
- Otto Creutzfeldt Lecture 2003
- Member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences 2005
- Elected President of the German Society of Music Physiology and Musicians’ Medicine 2005.
- Vice President of the German Society of Music Physiology and Musicians’ Medicine since 2011.